Saturday 22 December 2007

Where it all began...

where it all began...hmm, i'd say from birth!

I was always known as the 'thinker', the observer...i watched the world as a child, deep in thought, taking things in...don't get me wrong, i had fun (my many cousin's can back me up on that one!). But i believe, even as a young child, where i saw injustic, it would resonate in me and did not sit well.

My childhood was pretty normal, teens slightly crazy with family troubles and me falling head over heals (as they say) for the first time!

Little did i know, God was calling me throughout the years, slowly but surely, just like a gentleman wooing a lady, until i finally reached london, from living in cambridge, and learnt that this man Jesus, who i only knew of as 'son of God', had done some pretty amazing things, taught the best way to live and paid an ultimate price just for me!

My previous knowledge of God was things like memories of my grandmother, who was greek orthodox, directing all of us as children to the statue of Jesus on the crucifix that she had on the wall and we would all kiss the feet of the statue, just as she said. I only knew of God then as someone to be feared and not to know personally.

Over the past few years, i've learnt that Jesus was so much more than that, and that He had given me this heart, that cared for those who didn't have a voice or a chance in life.

At first, it was overwhelming, i wanted to help everywhere! And people would say to me 'Lisa, you can't change the world', and they are right! What i realised a few years on is that i can change someone's world, who in turn could change someone else's world and so on...a bit like that film 'pay it forward'.

I learnt how the smallest things are the most powerful; a smile, a hug, acknowledgement, your time, a listening ear, a word of encouragement.

Words are so powerful, the domino effect of positive words go beyond what we can ever imagine...
Just as important is to know how powerful negative words are and how they can be detrimental to others as ourselves...the effects may not even be seen by the person that speaks them, but guaranteed, there will be an effect.

So when i heard of the sufferings and injustice in and out of the UK i joined a missions school that was part of my church. They taught me valuable lessons in preparing to serve others in our own culture as well as completely different ones! I remember learning that in some countries, smiling at the camera is thought of as rude! And nodding your head means no and shaking your head means yes! lol

The school took me to places in Holland, Malta, London and eventually Brazil last year with a new organisation; YWAM.

This was a complete eye opener for me and confirmation that helping does make a difference, it really does.

No comments: